Advancing Clinical Trials in Vision and Eyes (ACTIVE)
ACTIVE is located within BRC. Its remit is to increase clinical trial activity in ophthalmology and develop a methodological hub for all aspects of the design, conduct and reporting of trials. This includes research for pioneering world leading gene and stem cell therapies, new drug treatments and novel diagnostic devices for management of visual impairment.
Specific activities focus on research into cost-efficiencies in trial conduct, strategies for improving recruitment and the development of core and patient orientated outcome sets for eye and vision trials.
ACTIVE was set up by Mr Richard Wormald (Consultant Ophthalmologist - Moorfields Eye Hospital and Coordinating Editor - Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group) and Dr Catey Bunce (Reader of Medical Statistics - King's College London and Statistical Editor - Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group).
The Centre links with the Ophthalmic Statistics Group which has an aim to ‘raise the standards of statistics in ophthalmic research’; and is formally linked with the Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group and the newly established UCL Clinical Trials Unit (UCL- CTU).
The Centre’s services are available to researchers, throughout Moorfields, UCLPartners and other academic and industrial partners.
ACTIVE helps research teams throughout the country design clinical trials safely and to a high scientific standard, offering a range of services to help ensure the results are accurate and credible, including:
- Framing the research question
- Protocol Development
- Statistical Guidance
- Methodological Research
ACTIVE offers comprehensive support to trials across all ophthalmic disease areas in MEH/UCL that are funded by NIHR HTA, NIHR EME, NIHR SDO, NIHR PHR, NIHR HSR and NIHR RfPB. Other trials may be accepted onto the portfolio for support on a case by case basis.
Information for researchers
- To find out more about ACTIVE services please use our contact us page or download our Trial Proposal Form to provide details of your enquiry. Our criteria for adoption of studies can be downloaded here.
- We also advise contacting your local NIHR Research Design Service.
Information for patients and the public
ACTIVE is not involved in the recruitment of patients into clinical studies and cannot offer advise on how to take part in a clinical study:
ACTIVE Spoke and Hub Model
- Ophthalmic Statistics Group (OSG)
- Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group (CEVG and CEVG US)
- Priment Clinical Trials Unit
- King's Clinical Trials Unit at King's Health Partnership
- Bart's and the London Pragmatic Clinical Trials Unit
- Medicines for Children Research Network Clinical Trials Unit
- Sight Loss and Vision Priority Setting Partnership
- The Comprehensive Clinical Trials Unit at UCL (UCL CTU)
© Copyright 2018 NIHR Moorfields Biomedical Research Centre. All rights reserved.