Recipe - Spinach, orange and watercress salad
Preparation time: 10 minutes
· 225g/ 8oz baby spinach leaves and watercress
· 2 large oranges
· ½ red onion
· red pepper
· linseed/flaxseed (to sprinkle)
For the dressing
· 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
· 2 tsp lemon juice
· 1 tsp clear honey
· ½ tsp wholegrain mustard
· Salt and pepper
1) Wash the spinach leaves under cold running water and then dry them thoroughly on absorbent kitchen paper. Remove any tough stalks and tear the larger leaves into smaller pieces.
2) Slice the top and bottom off each orange with a sharp knife, then remove the peel. Carefully slice between the membranes of the orange to remove the segments. Reserve any juices for the salad dressing.
3) De-seed the red pepper and using a sharp knife finely chop the onion and pepper.
4) Mix together the salad leaves and orange segments and arrange in a serving dish.
5) Scatter the chopped onion and red pepper over the salad.
6) To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, honey, mustard and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl.
7) Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving. Toss the salad well to coat the leaves with the dressing. Sprinkle with linseed/flaxseed.